Monday, October 11, 2010

Facing the Nikopol finale!

As I am getting ready this morning, I am extremely excited in knowing that this is our last full day in Nikopol, because tomorrow we will be leaving here for Kiev. It is surreal and yet very refreshing to know that after tonight I will no longer have to walk away from my daughter knowing she is falling asleep in an orphanage. Personally, I am ecstatic to leave Nikopol because I have fallen into a routine that is drab and mundane due to my limitations. Truly the only exciting things I have going for me is I get to go see my sweet Ayla Marina everyday and I get to skype back home to my lovely wife Kate and beautiful baby girl Chandler. For the most part I walk about 30 minutes in the cold, and rain sometimes, stopping off at the supermarket Billa to pick up 3 pork meatballs, a Fanta, and some candy for her groupa. I hang out with all of the kids, spending a good bit of my time with my daughter and picking her up to hold her, then head back to the apartment around 5, stopping off at one of two resturants, Palermo's for pizza or Cafe Penguin for palmeni. Yesterday I made my own Ukrainian salad at home from crab, corn, salt, pepper and mayonnaise just to break the cycle.

Yesterday was a fun filled day, I got to the orphanage around 10:30 and at 11 they held a orphanage wide Fiesta, singing, dancing, acting, then afterward they all went upstairs to the indoor play area and had tons of food that the kids were able to buy with the paper money they earned from working and participating. They had music, everyone was dancing, some of the food was really good, some not so much, they sold second hand clothes/purses/dresses/shoes for really cheap to the kids.  You know it is not a true Ukrainian party until a group of all boys end up wearing the heels and dresses they bought over their clothes. Akward, yet very funny.

Tomorrow we will say goodbye to all of the caregivers that have taken great care of Ayla for the last 2 and a half years, to all the kids who have become her family, to the instructors who have cultivated her gifts in singing and dance, to all the people who run the orphanage and make it a great place for a child that has no family feel like they belong. I pray for all the kids in Ayla Marina's group that they will experience love and the hope of the Gospel very soon, that they will family will be restored or renewed through adoption. I pray for Marianna, Olya, Anastia, Amalia, Katya, Dasha, Leina, Julia, Dianna, Zenya, Dennis, Sasha, and Angelo. They are truly great kids and a couple of them will be adopted soon by Spanish families but the others are left wondering if the next 8 years will entail them being raised by caregivers in the only home they have ever known.


Praying for safe travels to Dnipropetrovsk tomorrow, praying our Embassy and medical visits go through without delay, praying that our travels to Amsterdam/Memphis/Monroe will all pass by quickly, and praying that when I tuck my children into bed on Oct 16 that the peace of God and the hope of the gospel will begin to live through our family. I love you Lord, I love you Kate, and I love my precious daughters Ayla and Chandler. After 9 years and now three weeks apart, we will soon be a family of four, 5 days! All praise, honor, and glory to the one who deserves it, thank you Abba Father.

Click the picture below to see it Full Size.

4 comments:

The McEacherns said...

Yay! Praying for safe travels to Kiev and quick processing there!

Anonymous said...

HELLO!,
Just wanted to tell you that have I been praying for you and your family and your adoption journey.
I came back to Kiev today from Khmelnytsky with my 2 years old daughter (just adopted!).Tomorrow I have to take her to the American clinic and then to the Embassy. I am praying for a return home to my family(Fort Myers,Florida) on Thursday Oct 13.(will a month in Ukraine). So, I understand very well how you feel...
I will keep you in my prayers,
Blessings and have a safe return home,
Ines Ramirez-Wallace (my blog is
http;//onmywaytogetyou.blogspot.com/ )

PlainJane said...

I've caught your journey right near the end, but I'm excited for you and your family! The Lord is good and I wish more folks would hear and act on that still small voice saying to take these orphans and make them our own. On Februray 15, 2009 we brought our own Ukrainian daughters home to join our family - our family now includes 5 kids - 4.5 years apart in age, and the oldest 4 are 2 years apart in age (4 of them are in middle school this year..!) May the good Lord bless you and keep you as you finish the home stretch of this leg of the journey!

Journeymark Cards & Gifts said...

So glad you are getting to Kiev. I know it has seemed like a long journey, and you are almost home. Continuing to pray for you and your family.

Post a Comment